If you’re new to Trim Healthy Mama and feeling overwhelmed with the learning curve, or simply wanting to find more about their philosophies and dietary lifestyle, don’t panic! There are many online resources to help you out! I’m not even going to attempt to do a quick-start-guide, as there are several ladies who have done a superb job already. However, I am going to provide you with a list of some of those resources at the bottom of this page.
Over the past two years as I have been actively coaching ladies starting out on this journey, I cannot count the number of times I’ve sensed that overwhelmed feeling that comes from information overload and incredibly high personal expectations. When I’m encouraging someone in their journey, there are a few things I always highlight.
- Start slowly. One meal or snack a day until you get the hang of it. Personally, I find breakfast the easiest.
- Don’t be afraid to be a Drive-Through-Sue if you are a busy mom. Taking care of yourself sometimes means buying crackers vs. making them, and relying on more convenience food than you would otherwise prefer.
- Keep it simple if you are pressed for time. Learn contentment in simple, quick-to-prepare, yet nourishing foods. You will truly survive without 3 dessert options in your fridge, homemade bread overflowing your freezer and a different breakfast every day!
- Relax, and accept the fact that you are going to make mistakes. Rejoice in every good choice you do make, and accept that it is a journey. Everyone travels it a little differently.
- And finally, ‘Trim Healthy Mama’ is not the ultimatum. It is not your Bible. Continue learning, figure out what works for you personally even if it means modifying things to your season in life. Lean heavily on the good counselors that have been put in your life, and most importantly, look ultimately to God for wisdom in how He wants you to take care of the body He has entrusted you with.
Many have also asked me for the top few things they should buy when starting out. My answer is always the same. You don’t technically need anything extra, as THM focuses on whole foods you can find at your grocery store. However, a few basic speciality ingredients will make your journey more interesting and enjoyable. Here are the bare-bones basics I generally recommend to people.
- A sweetener that you like (Sweet Blend, Erythritol, Gentle Sweet, Xylitol and Swerve are all great options)
- THM stevia
- Whey Isolate Protein Powder
- Baking Blend
- Peanut Flour
- Integral Collagan
There are SO many options with these few simple ingredients. There are many more I could add, but this will give you a multitude of recipes to experiment with and find what you personally like. As you progress farther in your journey, you will quickly discover what extras would best suit your cupboard.
And finally, the list I promised. These ladies have worked very hard to compile these valuable resources. Leave them a kind comment if their effort has blessed you in any way!
And, as always, feel free to e-mail us with further questions you might have. We are here to serve you in your personal journey!
Official Online Resources
Other Helpful Resources
Gwen’s Nest: Quick Start Guide (Must Read!)
Gwen’s Nest: Trim Healthy Mama Book Review
What is Trim Healthy Mama?
31 Days of Gluten-Free THM Meals
Making Your Own THM Binder (with free printables)
THM Recipe Planning with ‘Build-A-Menu’